Our 13th Season!
Who? High School League for girls entering grade 9 to graduated; intermediate to advanced skills and Middle School League for incoming 6th-9th grade girls.
High School League
What? Sand Volleyball league for High School girls (Entering Grade 9 – Graduated) with matches scheduled at 3 nearly professional sand courts in Gray.
Where? Two of our sand courts are at the Gray Rec. Dept. (Newbegin) at 25 Main St. and the 3rd is at 39 Hunts Hill Rd. Gray at my home. Two sand courts in Deering Oaks Park in Portland – near the basketball and tennis courts may be used on occasion for “overflow”.
When? Wednesdays June 27 – August 8. Matches are at 9:30, 10:45, 12:00, 1:15, 2:30, 3:45 and, if needed at 5:00. Playoffs are on Wed. Aug. 8 All players need to “save that date”! Playoffs will include the top 16 teams in the standings. Players may request start times, for ex. “We prefer matches before 1:00.” These can usually be honored. Matches are normally one per week, but double matches (“double-headers”) are possible.
Teams? The League will have a maximum of 26 teams. As a means of equalizing competition, teams may consist of either 2 or 3 players. Players with less experience or less well-rounded skills, typical of JV players, may play in a threesome. Varsity players typically play 2s, also known as doubles.
Amenities? There’s a bathroom, shelter, pool, water/hose and picnic tables at Hunts Hill; Newbegin offers a porta potty, shelter, water/hose and picnic tables. ( It also has Subway and McDonald’s close by. )
Prizes? All players receive a lovely Hunts Hill Volleyball tank top, choice of colors!! Players have access to the free clinic(s). Sweatshirts and/or jackets and trophies are typical prizes for the finalists. There is a very cool beach volleyball team uniform contest with prizes, too!
ATTEND A CLINIC FOR FREE! HS Beach Volleyball Clinic Flier
Middle School League
What? Join facilitator Lydia Abbott (18 Regional/Falmouth ’18) for this 7-week, 4×4 sand volleyball league intended for girls entering 6th – 9th grade (5th graders with special permission).
Where? Two sand courts in Deering Oaks Park in Portland – near the basketball and tennis courts.
When? Thursdays beginning June 28 – August 16. (No matches on 7/5) Matches are at 8:30, 9:45, or 11:00.
Teams? Players make their own teams with up to 6 players, however, only 4 can play at a time. Maximum of 6 teams allowed. One player or parent “captain per team for communication and coordination.
Amenities? There is a bathroom, shelter, water, and picnic tables within a short walk of the courts.
Cost? $50/player ($60 after May 20), which includes 7 facilitated matches, a Hunts Hill tank top, and participation in the introductory sand clinic.
ATTEND A CLINIC FOR FREE! MS Beach Volleyball Clinic Flier
Why Play Beach Volleyball?
- To enjoy this great game, have a different experience from the indoor game and have FUN!
- To maintain and increase skills and conditioning for the indoor season.
How Can I Sign Up??
- First send an email stating your interest to John Razsa – email@example.com. A reply will be sent to you with a registration form attached.
- Complete the form and email it back to John.
- Registration is first-come, first served, so it is best to please act quickly.
- If you sign up, you must be very dependable and early (not just on time) for matches! ( Please re-read this last sentence. )
- The most common FAQ is, “Do I need to find my own partner/team?” The answer is generally, “Yes.” I can help with subs, though, with three days advance notice.
- Questions? For more info contact John at 838-5296 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This summer program is not affiliated with Maine Jrs. Volleyball Club.
Start with a Clinic
There will be a beach clinic to help players prepare for the league and the summer season on Friday June 22 12-3 at Deering Oaks sand courts. (These are near the bball courts near Route 295 at the rear of the park. ) This clinic will be conducted by Maine Juniors Beach Director, Andy Wimmer, a terrific doubles clinician. It is free for league participants and $30 for non-participants.)