New England Region Volleyball (NERVA) has announced their Diversity and Inclusion Group (DIG) as the newest branch of NERVA. Below is from NERVA:
DIG Overview: DIG was launched in the spring as we watched the most recent wave of police violence against the Black community and all people of color. We knew we had to act. The volleyball community in New England is a powerfully positive and constructive force in the lives of young players; DIG seeks to focus that compassion, determination, and community towards increasing diversity and inclusion to enrich the lives of all who participate in NERVA. Because volleyball is the fastest growing sport in America, it can be a leader in anti-racism and be welcoming to all.
DIG Mission Statement: To actively embrace and celebrate all people who want to play volleyball; To be self-reflective as a region and make systemic changes that decrease implicit and explicit barriers of access for both youth and adult players who might be unseen, underrepresented, or marginalized.
How Can You Help?
- Donate to the DIG Scholarship Program! Help us raise $40,000 to support 20 players in the 2021-22 season. See below for details on this scholarship program!
- Join our email list.
- Share this post by email or on social media to help spread the word.
- Volunteer to be a DIG mentor. Email DIG@nevolleyball.org for details.
- Reach out to your local ties. We want DIG to help communities who are “unseen, underrepresented, or marginalized,” and therefore less likely to be connected to NERVA’s current infrastructure.
DIG Scholarship Program: DIG’s first initiative was to create scholarships for Black and Latinx youth players in NERVA. This scholarship program promotes volleyball for players of lower socio-economic backgrounds as NERVA seeks to actively include, fund, and support volleyball in disenfranchised communities. To that end, this scholarship aims to financially, academically, and emotionally support players who might otherwise not be able to play.
Scholarship recipients will have access to a wide array of services to help them achieve their college and career goals:
- Receive up to $2,000 to cover NERVA club volleyball fees
- Continue to learn the sport and grow a community with their club team
- Be paired with an adult volleyball player as a mentor
- Receive tutoring from current college players
- Have free access to quality mental health services
- And more! DIG will continue to grow its monthly programming, such as nutrition, fitness, and personal finance seminars.
Maine Juniors stands with NERVA and invites you to make DIG Scholarship donation to directly benefit athletes in Maine here.